Latest Amendment date: 24th December 2022
Acknowledgement to participants
- All participants will receive a certificate of participation & comment sheet.
- Gold, Silver, Bronze and honorary mention will be awarded with Medals & Award Certificates.
Rules and Regulations
- The decision of the Jury is final and is not open to further discussion. Points given to each participants are meant only for judges’ evaluation and will not be shown in the comment sheet.
- Contacting Jury members before or during the competition is not permitted.
- Applications are not considered complete until all documents and accurate information required and fees have been received by MYOF.
- All fees are non-refundable and must be paid in full upon submission. There will be no refunds for withdrawals after online application has been submitted. Special circumstances may be considered (case to case basis) based on conditions stated in “Payment & Refund Policy“.
- No change of repertoire is allowed once application has been successfully processed.
- Open Category – Participants are permitted to submit multiple entries in the same age group under different genres or with different instruments. However, performing the same piece in these other groups is strictly prohibited, including arrangements or covers of the same piece.
- Open Category – The participant’s age group is determined by the year of birth, regardless of month. Entries to the incorrect age group will be forfeited.
- ABRSM Publications Category – Anyone, regardless of age can register for this category. Multiple registration must be in different competition groups. No same song / piece can be performed twice in different competition groups.
- Participants / Parents / Guardians will be responsible to provide accurate information during registration and frequently check the registered email during registration for updates and instructions. Festival related emails will be sent out from .
- Competition schedule will be emailed to participant and posted on MYOF’s website (Festival Page) around 3 – 4 weeks prior to the festival date, or no later than 15th January 2023.
- Multiple Gold, Silver & Bronze prizes may be awarded in each competition groups. Honorary mention acknowledgement may be awarded in particular to participants who performed well but performance duration have exceeded the time limit stipulated.
- Gold, Silver, Bronze and Honorary mention certificates will be awarded during the prize giving.
- Results will be announced on the same day in two sessions – Before lunch for morning sessions and at the end of the day for afternoon sessions.
- Certificate of participations and comment sheets will be distributed to all participants at the end of each competition class at the registration table. Uncollected certificates will be discarded.
- Any amendments after submission (E.g. name/repertoire spelling error) will incur an Administrative fee.
- Participants must arrive at venue at least 30 minutes prior to the start of their competition class and register themselves at the registration counter. Participant will be given an identification sticker which needs to be worn at the festival’s venue. This identification sticker will be their pass to observe other competition classes or attend any free workshops / activities.
- Participants must be on standby outside the competition room ready to enter when the judge assistant calls for participant to be seated at an allocated seat at the front of the room.
- Due to the size and format of the festival, no practice / request to try out the piano is permitted.
Repertoire and Performance Related – Open Category
- There is no minimum performance duration. The length of the piece should not exceed the allotted time for each age group.
- Performances exceeding the stipulated time limit may be disqualified or given only an honorary mention regardless of the quality of performance.
- The repertoire chosen must be from Baroque to 21st Century periods. Participants who perform modern pieces from genre such as jazz, pop, rock must register under Modern category. Ensure you choose the correct genre during registration. For beginners’ repertoire, please register for ABRSM Publications Category.
- Only ONE piece is accepted. A single movement from a set work, e.g. Sonata, Concerto, or Suite, is considered as one piece. The piece must be performed in entirety, with no parts omitted. Any work that is not performed in its entirety will receive no award regardless of the quality of performance.
Repertoire and Performance Related – ABRSM Publications Category
- Performance title can only be selected from the books indicated in table 2 found in the Category page.
- Only ONE piece is accepted.
- This category’s performance is not restricted to performing the piece as it is. Creative presentation of a chosen piece is encouraged to successfully communicate artistically to the audiences.
- Participants may improvise musical piece with repeats (if necessary), using different dynamics, articulations and etc. to “tell a story” or create an interesting performance.
- Performance as a whole is considered from walking up the “stage” to the final bow.
- Each performer will have a maximum of 3 minutes to present the original piece and improvisation.
Repertoire and Performance Related (For both categories)
- Participant will need to bring along a copy of performing score with name and category written on top of the copy and submit it to the judge assistant in the competition room prior to the start of the competition class.
- Participants are not allowed to perform using photocopy scores. Only original books are allowed for ABRSM Publications Category. Self printed online purchased scores is allowed as long as a receipt of purchase is attached with the copy of score given to the judge assistant.
- If performance piece is not the same as the title submitted during registration, no award will be given regardless of the performance quality.
- It is compulsory to perform with a piano accompanist or backing track in Violin and Singing categories, unless the piece is a solo unaccompanied work. It is the participant’s responsibility to bring their own accompanist. All participants are responsible to provide their own play-back equipment. A suggestion would be a bluetooth portable speaker and a device to play the tracks, such as a tablet, mobile phone, mp3 players. Participants do not need to pre-register piano accompanists. Refer to Terms and Conditions below paragraph / point 8 for entrance requirements.
Terms & Conditions
- The Jury may choose to
(a) Listen to only a part of the program presented if they feel they have heard enough to make a judgment.
(b) Withhold awards, as in line with international competitions, if the minimum points required are not met.
(c) Award joint-prizes or choose winner in the event of a tie.
(d) Refrain from providing a written commentary.
- In the event that a member of the Jury presents his/her student* at the competition, the said Jury member is to recuse himself/herself from the jury duty. The evaluation will only be judged by the remaining Jury.
*A current student is defined as having studied within the previous 12 months. Attending or performing at masterclasses does not apply for this rule.
- MYOF reserves the right to combine or divide any age group category / books category depending on the numbers of participant in each category.
- Should any competition group has only one or two participant, MYOF reserves the right to combine performance with another group for performance purposes, but will be judged and awarded separately.
- MYOF reserves the right to limit the total number of participants according to capacity. Registration may close earlier than the published date-line once all slots have been filled.
- MYOF reserves the right to limit the total number of prizes awarded for each of the categories and/or change the value and type of awards given at any time without prior-notice.
- All participants and their accompanying members are responsible for their own expenses and no reimbursements of any kind will be given.
- The festival is open to the public, regardless of nationality. Participants’ are able to observe all competition classes on both days as long as they wear the participant’s identification sticker given during registration. Participants are also allowed to attend workshops / activities during the festival if seats are available. However, priority will be given to non-participants who registered for paid workshops.
- ALL individuals wishing to observe the competition class(es) or enter the festival area (including parents, teachers, page turners and piano accompanists) are required to purchase a day pass or half day pass. Day pass holder can attend any FREE workshops or activities. Seats are on first come first served basis.
- MYOF shall have no liability in the event of illness and/or injury to persons, damage and/or theft of objects that may occur during the journey or while the competition is in progress.
- MYOF has unrestricted rights to film, broadcast, photograph and record any part of the competition performances / workshops participation. Malaysia Youth Orchestra Foundation reserves all rights. The participant agrees that he/she waives any claim whatsoever to any financial reward arising from the distribution or use of any such recordings or photographs.
- The rules of the application must be strictly adhered to and each supplementary document requested supplied.
- By submitting the Application Form, which forms a part of the Rules & Regulations and Terms & Conditions of the Young Artists Music Festival, the participant is deemed to agree and comply with this document.
All information on this document was correct when posted. MYOF reserves the right to make changes if circumstances dictate and any updates will be dated on top of this document.